Known as the greatest free show in the country, the annual Blackpool Illuminations are Blackpool’s most popular attraction. Running from September to November each year, the Illuminations consist of 6 glittering miles of lights. It is during this period that Blackpool really comes alive!
* The Illuminations cost £2.4m to stage.
* The mountain of equipment is worth £10m
* The Lights are expected to attract in excess of 3.5 million visitors to Blackpool.
* Visitors will spend more than £275 million while visiting the resort during the Lights.
* The Illuminations will shine non-stop for 66 nights.
* The dazzling display stretches almost six miles from Starr Gate to Bispham.
* 45 staff, which include Artists, Electricians, Joiners Mechanics, Painters and Engineers, work all year round to ensure the displays are ready on time.
* Altogether 65,000 staff hours are used on maintenance, preparation, erection, operation and – finally – dismantling the features, fixtures and fittings.
* The Rigby Road workshop, resembles something of a Santa’s Grotto with its network of workshops, halls, corridors and storage area.
* There are more than 100-miles of festoon strip strung between promenade poles and across the carriageway.
* Cable and wiring stretches more than 200 miles.
* There are one million lamps in various types and styles.
* The equipment weighs more than 711,000 kilograms which is equivalent to 350 Blackpool trams.
* There are more than 500 scenic designs and features.
* 40 large tableaux holding more than 5,000 square metres in surface area are included in the display.
* There are more than 5,000 floodlights and spotlights.
* Most of the display now operates on low voltage eg 12v and 24v.
* New infrastructure for the lights, street lighting and tramways cost £9m
* The lights are supported by more than 1,500 poles.
* Electricity consumed totals 960,000 units, at an approximate cost of £50,000.